Heres what she had to say about buying handmade:
I buy handmade for so many reasons.
1) I hate mass produced products;
2) I hate Chinese sweatshops even more;
3) I don't like not knowing where my stuff came from... who suffered for it... even if the person who made it wasn't a child, were they paid appropriately for there time? Were they abused in the process?
4) I like unique things;
5) I like supporting the US economy... and just about the only things made in the USA these days are handmades;
6) In many cases, handmades are better quality... sellers want repeat business, they want people to spread word about there shop... so they do ther very best to make a top notch product;
7) You can count on a handmade to not contain harmful chemicals like lead paint... or food products to contain enough preservatives to keep a dead person looking good for 20 years (like most prepackaged foods in our supermarkets).
8) I like to think that my purchases are helping someone directly... whether it be enabling someone to be a SAHM or helping someone pay that past due light bill. I know that my money isn't going to some fat cat executive that's making 6 or 7 figures.... it's going straight to the person who made the lovely item. I think that's about it... I'm sure there are more reasons but these are the ones that scream the loudest.