CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 23, 2008

For the Love of Fabric; a Review of Fabric Row in Philadelphia





This is a review by fellow cafemom's , Jenola Style, on her trip to Fabric Row, in Philadelphia, PA. Jenola Style is run by sisters creating delightful homemade items for babies, children and moms.

First off I'll let you know that this may be the only time since I've been a child that my older sister, my mom, my grandma and I went out for a day without kids. I am very grateful to my husband for watching the kiddos for me all day. We got to Fabric a little after 10. There were sporadic bursts of slow traffic and construction. (We made good time, of course I was driving, so that may be why.) The first thing we did when we got there was try to find a bathroom. Most of the stores would not let you use the bathroom unless you were buying something. We were lucky enough to find 2 stores where we didn't buy anything, but still were allowed restroom privileges. Fabric Row consists of about 3 1/2 blocks of various stores, about 28 of them were fabric stores. Most of them were home decorator fabric, which I love. But, we weren't looking to reupholster any furniture. If I was selling more bags, I would of bought up a bunch. Most of the prices on the home dec stuff was pretty reasonable. We found some apparel weight fabric also. One store had a lot of Micheal Miller fabrics at $8.95 a yard. (I can get it cheaper through a fabric co-op.) I did get a few things. A couple of them seemed to be vintage. The photos show the fabric I purchased and it's a little heavier than normal apparel. I need to wash it to make sure it holds up.



We also stopped two places to eat. One was lunch. Can you say Organic?? All types of different flavors and textures. It was a little scary walking in there. The name of the market was Essene Market & Cafe.

We also stopped off at another food place on the way out. My mom wasn't able to eat much of her meal, cause it was spicy, so we had dessert. It was a place called Famous 4th Street Delicatessen. The desserts were huge. I'm putting pictures of them on here. If you can't tell the desserts are served on dinner plates. So they are quite large.





All in all it was a fun trip, but we probably won't return.

No comments: